Earlier this year, we heard the news that Elon Musk became the richest person in the world, with an estimated fortune of $189 billion. He is one of a handful of billionaires whose fortunes rises above $100 billion. But did you know there are around 2,000 billionaires in the world?
Here are some interesting, disturbing and controversial facts about the world’s wealthiest people.
- The combined fortune of all the world’s billionaires is estimated at $10 trillion. This is just under half the USA’s GDP (Gross domestic product)!
- Their wealth is greater than that of 60% of the world’s population – combined!
- Warren Buffet, whose fortune stands around $90 billion, has given away close to a third of that to charity.
- The top billionaires in the world make around $2,000 a second – yes, you read that correctly, every single second!
- Here’s a controversial one: the super-rich are hiding at least $7.6 trillion from tax authorities, which means they are evading an estimated $200 billion in taxes.
- Of the 2,000 billionaires in the world, 90% of them are men.
- The most common astrological sign for billionaires is Aquarius, representing 12.5% of the super-rich.
- Over 20% of billionaires have more than 5 children.