Millions of people around the world are having to adapt to a work from home routine - some unexpectedly while others have been doing it for years! Keeping a routine and not just staying in bed until noon is the first step on having an efficient and healthy time working at home. Here are some tips on how to work from home:
- Be disciplined: Working from home requires discipline and good time management. At home you might be easily distracted by the television, your pet, your family members, etc. Be disciplined to focus on finishing work first and then being able to enjoy everything you have at home!
- Be organized: Make sure to set a room aside or workspace such as a little office at home where you can focus on your work. Have a calendar or a schedule if you’re having trouble completing all work tasks and home chores on the same day and set times for each need.
- Take a shower: While many of us won’t meet a single person during a day of work, it’s psychologically and physically healthy to ensure you shower, shave and get dressed every day before starting work.
- Get started earlier: One way to work from home productively is to dive into your to-do list as soon as you wake up, as you might get more progress on a project at the beginning of the day Otherwise, you'll prolong breakfast and let the morning sluggishness prevent you from being as productive.
- Stay connected: Technology allows people to connect and have video calls to check in with family or coworkers as a way to distract ourselves and get some degree of interaction with the outside world.
Working from home isn’t for everyone, but whether we like it or not, many of us will be required to work remotely in the upcoming weeks or maybe even months. Some may want to go back to their office routine, while others will enjoy the WFH experience and try to push their boss to let them continue working from home permanently or at least more often than previously. Everything is changing around us, it’s time to adapt!
Are you ready?